Thursday, August 23, 2012

WhiteAnt 3d Printer Build- Parts E, R and M

The last wood parts that I'm using from the WhiteAnt design are the stepper motor mounts for the 3 axes.   The motors will also be installed at this time, since each mount must have the motor attached before assembly.

Of all the WhiteAnt literature I have found, there are no specifications given for the stepper motor except for the size: NEMA 23. I purchased from an eBay seller (3)  used Vexta PK266-02A steppers with 3/4" shafts. They have 6 leads and can be wired as bipolar.



I started with the most difficult assembly: the Y-axis and then worked my way up to the Z-axis which was the easiest to assemble. The only problem I incurred was that I found that the 3/4" length of the stepper motor shaft is too short, but with slight modifications I was able to make it work.


All motors in place and T2.5 belt in place for X-axis.

Y-axis
X-axis
Z-axis


No specifications are given for the belts and pulleys for this printer. Since my familiarity is with the metric T5 belts used on the RepRap machines, I decided to go with this, BUT with an improvement. I think the higher precision of a T2.5 system will make it better.

Top is a T5 belt and pulley and the bottom is a T2.5

No comments:

Post a Comment