Friday, April 6, 2012

DAVID Laserscanner


Even though I don't plan to use 3d scanning as a primary source for my content,
I'm still intrigued by the technology of a DIY system. Of the 3d scanning systems
available, I’ve chosen to use a product developed in Germany called DAVID LaserScanner. My main reason is cost and it has a strong support system through
it’s website forum.
The DAVID system is offered as software only or as a kit consisting of software,
a basic red line laser, web camera, and calibration panels. I plan to assemble
my own hardware and use their software. A later blog entry will cover in detail
my setup (consisting of upgraded components) as soon as they arrive from various
companies.


DAVID LaserScanner setup


Scanning Egyptian cat sculpture.

In the interim, I’ve constructed a basic rig which holds a HD web camera and a
red line laser attached directly on a NEMA 17 stepper motor controlled by an
Arduino  Duemilanove. Attaching the laser like this is not going to give good
results, but it's better for experimenting than moving the laser by hand. The
software is the free edition of DAVID LaserScanner, which means the scans are
saved at a lower resolution and DAVID ShapeFusion (the program which stitches
the scans together) is saved prohibited.

Depth View of Scan 800x600 @ 15fps




Fully enclosed object suitable for printing.



3 comments:

  1. Hi, im building a larger version of the whiteAnt 3D printer, and i think this could be a nice extra feature for it. How would you compare cost/complexity of the 3d printer and 3d scanner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That depends on how involved you get with the scanning system. If you set up a basic red line laser and video cam it can be relatively inexpensive and easily used, but if you move into structured light or planeless scanning it can be not only expensive, but a lot to learn. The system I set up took a lot of planning and electronics assembly and it's cost me about 2/3 of what I've spent on my whiteant materials.

      Delete
  2. I have recently purchased a kinects scanner from xbox. this is more amazing than what your can imaging, works quicker and the set-up is easier. 200 euros, scans any thing, quickly and very accurately.

    ReplyDelete