Sunday, April 1, 2012

Google SketchUp

Now that I have a 3d printer running, I’m ready to explore different means of
creating content for printing. The first program that I’ve decided to use is
Google's free edition of SketchUp. I have no experience with CAD or 3d graphics
programs, yet I found SketchUp to be an easy program to absorb quickly after watching a series of videos from http://sketchup.google.com/training/videos.html.
With a little trial and error, I was able to make some pieces that I need for a camera/laser rig for 3d scanning.

Laser cradle.

Tower brace.

Stepper motor mount.


Completed system with printed parts and devices.

The free program does not export to .obj or .stl files but with a free plugin
from  http://www.guitar-list.com/download-software/convert-sketchup-skp-files-dxf-or-stl 
I was able to save my designs as a .stl and view them for problems with another
free program called Meshlab. I really don't foresee using SketchUp very often, but for fabricating parts for future projects, I am amazed when I think of the possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment