Sunday, August 18, 2013

The E3D-v5 HotEnd and bowden cable system

The E3D-v5 HotEnd from e3d-online.com is a new hotend that I’m interested in trying. It has an all metal construction (without the use of PEEK) which gives it the advantage of operating at higher temperatures.


This is important since the nylon and polycarbonate filament that’s become available requires much higher extruding temperatures.

The hotend is sold as a kit which consists of a handful of parts that are very easy to assemble. There are two design features I’d like to point out.

First, the hotend utilizes a robust ceramic resistor that's held in place by a small allen screw.


Second, the thermistor has a very nice cavity to plug into and then wrap around and through the block which provides a good anchor.



I purchased this hotend with the additional bowden cable accessory. I could have devised a bowden system from scratch, but this hotend has a coupler which screws nicely into the end. It's a nice system, but I still had to  fabricate a part to clamp it to the x carriage.

Using OpenSCAD, I redesigned the bowden mount available on https://github.com/MakerGear/MakerGear-Prusa-Mendel and designed a mount clamp on SketchUp.







The OpenSCAD file was also modified so that the bowden cable coupler could be used with the  MakerGear Brutsruder. This also required adding a M8 nut.




The bowden system is quite adaptable. By using 2 M8 nuts on each end of the couplers, I'm able to attach a MakerGear hotend and use it on my Mendel Prusa.








No comments:

Post a Comment